The Civic Education Project (CEP) hires passionate, dedicated educators to work with highly motivated middle and high school students to explore our nation's most pressing social issues and ways students can take action.
If you want to help develop socially responsible young leaders, then CEP wants you!
CEP programs are quite intensive, and all staff positions require a significant commitment.
Before the Program
- Once hired, staff are expected to spend sufficient time prior to the program reviewing pre-program online trainings, including staff handbooks and curriculum materials, and (if applicable) preparing lesson plans and activities.
During the Program
- Each day involves several different activities, and program curricula move at a fairly quick pace.
- Following the program, instructional staff have responsibilities for student evaluation and program documentation.
How to Have A Successful Experience
- All staff should be committed to the goals of the program; attuned to the academic, social, and emotional needs of gifted learners; and understanding of the particular challenges of working with students in an online learning or residential environment.
- Staff should possess passion, energy, creativity, organizational skills, flexibility, teamwork, and the ability to troubleshoot, problem solve, and manage stress.
- Our most successful staff members not only appreciate the intensity of this kind of immersive experience, but also thrive within the community it creates.
Please carefully review our Position Openings and Employment Dates before completing a staff application.
- All Leadership Intensive and Returning Staff Applicants please complete: CEP Staff Application.
In the Staff Application you will be asked to supply:
- A current résumé reflecting your education, employment, and volunteer experience;
- A brief personal statement of no more than 500 words, articulating why you are interested in these positions and what skills or experiences you bring to the program;
- Contact information (name, phone number, email address) for three to five professional references. Note: references are contacted via email at the time candidates who are invited to interview for a position call CEP to schedule their interview.
Please prepare these materials before you begin the staff application, as you may not have the option to save and return to the application to complete it at a later time.
You will be notified via e-mail once we have received your completed online application, résumé, and personal statement. Due to a high volume of applicants, we are unable to review incomplete applications.
Candidates receiving further consideration will be invited to participate in an interview via phone. Candidates may also be asked to submit additional materials during the hire process, including lesson or activity plans, official undergraduate and graduate transcripts, copies of teaching certifications, and additional references.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis as they are received, so candidates are encouraged to apply early to ensure full consideration. Candidates will be notified of their status as soon as all positions are filled.
Staff Consideration Begins
Hiring Decisions Begin
Northwestern University Hiring Policies
Northwestern University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer. For more information on recruitment and hiring policies, visit the Office of Equal Opportunity and Access.
All candidates selected for hire must successfully complete a criminal background check. (Background checks are at no cost to the candidate. Details will be discussed during the interview process.)
Instructor - Leadership Intensive
Instructors are responsible for preparing and facilitating the course curriculum and evaluating student work via Schoology, CTD’s learning management system, and facilitating classes via Zoom, Northwestern University’s video conferencing platform. See the Online Leadership Intensive Instructor Job Posting for complete details.
Instructor compensation is $1,500 per course.
Northwestern requires all residential and in-person staff and faculty to be vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to limited exceptions, and will be required to document their vaccination status. For more information, please visit our COVID-19 and Campus Updates website.
For questions regarding the application process or working with CEP, please contact: